Re: guix repl and ice-9 modules

From: Maxim Cournoyer
Subject: Re: guix repl and ice-9 modules
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2019 23:10:38 +0900

Hello Todor,

Todor Kondić <address@hidden> writes:

> ... which leads to a question, why is there no readline anymore? I notice it
> is a separate package in guix. Is this a guix decision, or a new development
> in guile?

Please remember to use top-bottom posting; this convention is used on
the Guix mailing lists and makes it a bit neater to follow :-).

The answer seems to lie in the choice of the license. Guile was licensed
as LGPL, perhaps to better compete with Tcl, which was on the rise at
the time.  GNU Readline is GPL.  As such, you cannot distribute Guile as
LGPL if you include GPL code in it (it'd need to be GPL as a whole
then), hence the separation into different packages.

Maxim