Re: Help with Learning Programming and LISP

From: John Soo
Subject: Re: Help with Learning Programming and LISP
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2019 09:38:15 -0700

Hi Raghav!

>  I would like to learn programming starting with LISP

Great! Lisp is probably the best language to start with!

Lisp books also rank among the best introductory materials to programming. I
highly recommend these two:

- Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs (often called SICP)

This uses a dialect of scheme, so you can do the exercises without much
translation using guile or racket. It touches on many aspects of computer
science and I think is closest to the swiss-army knife you deacribed. There are
also excellent lectures freely available on YouTube by the authors.

- Land of Lisp

This is an introduction to Common Lisp. I am less familiar with it, but it
always comes highly recommended as a fun introduction to programming by writing
simple games. If I’m not mistaken, it may be a little more pragmatic than SICP.

Hope that helps and happy hacking!

- John