Re: Setting environment variables in Gnome session

From: Jesse Gibbons
Subject: Re: Setting environment variables in Gnome session
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2019 21:03:26 -0600

On Wed, 2019-08-28 at 20:50 -0400, Jonathan Frederickson wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 28, 2019 at 8:40 PM, Timothy Sample <address@hidden>
> wrote:
> > If you use GDM and GNOME, and have Bash as your shell, you need to
> > set
> > the variables in “~/.bash_profile” or “~/.bashrc”.  Guix
> > System sets up
> > GDM to run your X session from the your login shell (which I’m
> > assuming
> > is Bash).  Since Guix System provides a “~/.bash_profile” file by
> > default, Bash will read this and skip “~/.profile”.
> >
> > So if you set the variables in a Bash-specific file it should work.
> >

> > -- Tim
>
> Thanks, but the environment variable I'm looking to set needs to
> apply
> to Gnome itself rather than my terminal shell. It's the search path
> that Gnome uses to find XDG application files. I believe
> ~/.bash_profile is only read by bash specifically?
>
> (I've just tried adding the relevant env var to ~/.bash_profile in
> any
> case, but it doesn't seem to have affected gnome-shell's
> environment.)

IIRC .bash_profile sets variables globally in the login session when
they are exported. Unless I'm mistaken, if that was not the case,
emacs-guix wouldn't be able to recognize my development packages in
$GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH when emacs is launched by gnome. Have you made sure
the variables in question have been exported?