Re: Help defining a trivial package.

From: Timothy Sample
Subject: Re: Help defining a trivial package.
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2019 08:17:37 -0400

Hi Pierre,

"Pierre-Henry F." <address@hidden> writes:

> Would someone help defining a trivial package?

Sure!

> Here is an attempt at defining the package (incomplete, does not work) in
> blog.scm:
>
>     (define-module (blog)
>       #:use-module (guix packages)
>       #:use-module (guix download)
>       #:use-module (guix build-system trivial)
>       #:use-module (guix licenses)
>       #:use-module (gnu packages python))
>
>     (define-public blog
>       (package
>         (name "blog")
>         (version "3")
>         (source
>           (origin
>             (method url-fetch)
>             (uri (string-append "/home/phf/programs/blog/release_" version
> ".tar.lz"))
>             (sha256
>               (base32
>                 "1y819b53ksyas6asldysr0r8p73n5i8ipbpmbgjrfx8qz8cy2zsx"))))
>         (build-system trivial-build-system)
>         (arguments
>           '(#:builder #~(begin
>                           (mkdir #$output)
>                           (chdir #$output)
>                           )))
>         (inputs `(("python" ,python)))
>         (synopsis "Guix 'hello world' to learn about Guix")
>         (license gpl3+)))
>
> Here is the line that I use to try to build and debug along the way:
>
>     $ guix build --keep-failed --verbosity=2 --file=./blog.scm

As a note for the future, it would be helpful to include the error
message that you saw when things went wrong.  Here, I’m assuming that
Guix said:

    guix build: error: #<unspecified>: not something we can build

Running “guix build --file=X” causes Guix to build the last expression
evaluated in the file “X”.  In your case, the last expression that gets
evaluated is the “define-public” form, which returns an unspecified
value.

While testing, you can put “blog” at the bottom of the file, causing
Guix to build your defined “blog” package.

Hope that helps!

-- Tim