Re: CV Assistant

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: CV Assistant
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2019 17:52:36 +0200

Hello,

Raghav Gururajan <address@hidden> writes:

> I sat to do it several times but could not start it due to the
> situation I am in. I am curious to learn packaging in guix and I am
> confident that I will be doing it someday. It just not the right time
> (hectic situation).

In order to get you, or someone else, started, here is a draft for the
package:

  (define-public cvassistant
    (package
      (name "cvassistant")
      (version "3.1.0")
      (source (origin
                (method url-fetch)
                (uri (string-append "mirror://sourceforge/cvassistant/"
                                    "cvassistant-" version "-src.tar.bz2"))
                (sha256
                 (base32
                  "1y2680bazyiwm50gdhdd4982ckbjscrkbw2mngyk7yw708iadvr7"))))
      (build-system gnu-build-system)
      (arguments
       `(#:phases
         (modify-phases %standard-phases
           (add-after 'unpack 'remove-donation-banner
             ;; Remove dialog box with a donation link, as suggested by
             ;; the INSTALL file.
             (lambda _
               (substitute* "controllers/mainwindow.cpp"
                 (("#(define NO_DONATION_PROMPT)" _ line) line))
               #t))
           (add-after 'unpack 'fix-quazip-directory
             ;; Without it, build process fails with "fatal error:
             ;; quazip/quazipfile.h: No such file or directory".
             ;;
             ;; FIXME: insufficient! It fails later with "ld: cannot
             ;; find -lquazip-qt5".
             (lambda _
               (substitute* "models/resumedocument.h"
                 (("quazip(/quazipfile\\.h)" _ suffix)
                  (string-append "quazip5" suffix)))
               #t))
           (replace 'configure
             (lambda _ (invoke "qmake"))))))
      (inputs
       `(("qtbase" ,qtbase)
         ("quazip" ,quazip)
         ("zlib" ,zlib)))
      (home-page "https://cvassistant.sourceforge.io/";)
      (synopsis "Job application organizer")
      (description "Whether you're looking for a job or trying to help
  a friend to find one, CVAssistant is a tool for you.  It helps you by
  preparing resumes and cover letters and organizing your job
  application process.  It:
  @itemize
  @item Stores all your skills and experiences.
  @item Creates resumes tailored for each job you apply.
  @item Creates cover letters summarized to match each job
  advertisement.
  @item Keeps a history of job applications so you are ready when you
  receive a phone call.
  @item Writes resumes in your language.  All languages are supported!
  @end itemize")
      (license license:gpl3+)))

Unfortunately, it fails to build with "ld: cannot find -lquazip-qt5".
This is probably related to this part of the definition:

  (add-after 'unpack 'fix-quazip-directory
    ;; Without it, build process fails with "fatal error:
    ;; quazip/quazipfile.h: No such file or directory".
    ;;
    ;; FIXME: insufficient! It fails later with "ld: cannot
    ;; find -lquazip-qt5".
    (lambda _
      (substitute* "models/resumedocument.h"
        (("quazip(/quazipfile\\.h)" _ suffix)
         (string-append "quazip5" suffix)))
      #t))

I'm quite certain this is not too hard to solve. You may want to
investigate a bit further, or ask for help through IRC, etc.

HTH,

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou