Re: Ho to hide settings on a new tab Icecat

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: Ho to hide settings on a new tab Icecat
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2019 12:35:00 -0400

Hello again,

Earlier, I wrote:

> address@hidden writes:
>
>> Hello! Need to set 'Search' and 'Top sites' blocks to the top of Icecat tab.
>> But there is 'Privacy settings' block in the top, screen:
>> http://0x0.st/zOid.png
>> Please, how to hide or delete it at all?
>
> I don't know off-hand, but I would suggest asking the question on
> <address@hidden>, the mailing list for IceCat.  This question is
> not specific to Guix.

FYI, the code that adds the "Privacy settings" block is here:

  https://git.sv.gnu.org/cgit/gnuzilla.git/tree/data/onboarding?h=v60.7.0

It is copied to the generated IceCat source tarball by this code:

  https://git.sv.gnu.org/cgit/gnuzilla.git/tree/makeicecat?h=v60.7.0#n574

and ends up in browser/extensions/onboarding in the source tarball, and
ultimately here in the build output:

  /gnu/store/…-icecat-60.8.0-guix1/lib/icecat/browser/features/address@hidden

A comment in onboarding.js claims:

  The script won't be initialized if we turned off onboarding by
  setting "browser.onboarding.enabled" to false.

but that's apparently false, because "browser.onboarding.enabled" is
already set to false on my installation (although I do not remember
changing it), and yet I still see the "Privacy settings" block.

Further questions about this issue should go to <address@hidden>,
because as I wrote earlier, it is not specific to Guix.

     Regards,
       Mark