Re: grub with encrpted root no longer automatically loads luks

From: Jack Hill
Subject: Re: grub with encrpted root no longer automatically loads luks
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2019 02:03:01 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 28 Jun 2019, Mark H Weaver wrote:

Hi Jack,

Jack Hill <address@hidden> writes:

I've noticed that recently (unfortunately, I don't know exactly when
it started), that grub no longer prompts me to enter my password to
unlock my root filesystem.

FWIW, I also use an encrypted root filesystem on my Guix system, and
I've updated Guix since you reported the problem, and it works for me.
GRUB continues to prompt me for the LUKS passphase at boot.

One notable difference between our system configurations is that you
have a separate /boot filesystem, and I don't.  All I have is a single
encrypted root filesystem, plus %base-file-systems.  I wonder if this
might be the relevant difference?

Mark,

Thanks for your reply. I've finally had a chance to try without a separate /boot, and indeed it works as expected like it does for you. Since I don't think I was getting any benefit from having a separate /boot, I'm content to leave it without one. However, perhaps there is a bug here, and we should support a separate /boot?

As for why I started getting this problem, it appears it is because I didn't have a separate /boot, but then added one. Trying to remember why I did that, I think it was because grub-install failed at some point, and worked when I added a /boot. However, I didn't reboot right away, and had reconfigured a few more times before I rebooted and noticed the problem. At that point I didn't remember that I had changed the configuration with regards to /boot. Of course it was the thing I changed that caused the problem, if only I had remembered! ☺

Best,
Jack