Re: Why reproducibility is breaking by metadata?

From: Konrad Hinsen
Subject: Re: Why reproducibility is breaking by metadata?
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2019 09:51:33 +0200

Hi Giovanni,

> Just "food for thought": git-annex metadata allows users to attach
> arbitrary metadata to their annexed files, «metadata is stored in the
> git-annex branch, and so is automatically kept in sync with the rest of
> git-annex's state»

That's indeed a nice example of how to handle metadata in a better way.
But it does require more than a plain files, so publishing and archiving
the metadata requires additional tools (git in this case).

> I doubt this could be applied to `guix pack`, but it's an intereting
> approach to "sidecar" metadata

We could adapt the idea to the Guix store. Write the metadata to a
separate file in the store that has the same filename as the packed
archive, but an additional extension. Since the filename contains the
hash of the archive contents, the relation between data and metadata
is also maintained.

Konrad.