Re: bug#36498: modem["ttyUSB0"]: error starting PPP: Could not find "ppp

From: pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)
Subject: Re: bug#36498: modem["ttyUSB0"]: error starting PPP: Could not find "pppd" binary
Date: Sun, 7 Jul 2019 22:28:45 +0200

On Sun, Jul 07, 2019 at 08:55:54PM +0200, Adam Mazurkiewicz wrote:
> sob., 6 lip 2019 o 15:02 pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)
> <address@hidden> napisał(a):
> >
> > And I hope you are using a recent git checkout or ran `git pull
> > --rebase` recently.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Florian
>

> Thank you, Florian for your help. I decided to do everything from
> start. I formatted a guix partition and installed guix.

I am sorry you had to go to such troubles.  I should have explained
more clearly.

You could have used an existing Guix System installation, but the Git
checkout from which you ./pre-inst-env must be recent enough so that
it contains the usb-modeswitch-service-type as part of
%desktop-services.

My hope is that the second patch I posted for PPP suffices and your
checkout just did not work because it was old and did not contain
usb-modeswitch.

> Before I tried to implement your patches without the prefix
> ./pre-inst-env, but now I am trying to follow you strictly. I have a
> local mirror of guix to do patches on it. My local folder name is
> guix-hack. I followed instructions on the Contributing manual site
> and expected that the prefix ./pre-inst-env would work but I got the
> error sudo: ./pre-inst-env: command not found
>
> So first I have to get to now how to use the prefix.

The manual describes many edge cases (“if you get that error message,
do this”) and irrelevant examples.  What I did was like the following:

cd …/guix-hack
… # `git pull --rebase` and `git am …` and all that
./bootstrap
./configure --localstatedir=/var
make
sudo -i
cd …/guix-hack
./pre-inst-env guix system reconfigure /etc/config.scm

`sudo -E ./pre-inst-env guix …` should work too.  You must *not*
launch your own guix-daemon.

Regards,
Florian