Re: switch off cpu fan on lenovo g50-30

From: Efraim Flashner
Subject: Re: switch off cpu fan on lenovo g50-30
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2019 10:20:17 +0300

On Thu, Jul 04, 2019 at 06:42:40AM +0000, address@hidden wrote:
> Hello! Sometimes I need my laptop Lenovo G50-30 is silent, need to switch off
> CPU fan.
> Basically this laptop had no cpu fan but only passive cooling system. I had
> inserted cpu fan by my hands and there were fan power joint on the
> motherboard. This is nice. I hope Guix Linux-Libre has necessary fan control
> driver for my laptop.
>
> There is package 'thinkfan' in Guix repository. Would you advice me how to
> config it and is it possible to switch off fan?
>
> # thinkfan
>
> ERROR: /etc/thinkfan.conf: No such file or directory

efraim@macbook41 ~/workspace/guix$
/./gnu/store/c8pmmbpx3q881baivkrcmi01lrj4si4j-thinkfan-1.0.2/sbin/thinkfan
--help
ERROR: Invalid command line: Unknown option: --
Usage: thinkfan [-hnqzD [-b BIAS] [-c CONFIG] [-s SECONDS] [-p [SECONDS]]]
 -h  This help message
 -s  Maximum cycle time in seconds (Integer. Default: 5)
 -b  Floating point number (-10 to 30) to control rising temperature
     exaggeration (see README). Default: 5.0
 -c  Load different configuration file (default: /etc/thinkfan.conf)
 -q  Be more quiet. Can be specified up to three times so that only errors
     are logged.
 -v  Enable verbose logging (e.g. log temperatures continuously).
 -p  Use the pulsing-fan workaround (for worn out fans). Takes an optional
     floating-point argument (0 ~ 10s) as depulsing duration. Default 0.5s.
 -d  Don't read S.M.A.R.T. temperature from sleeping disks
 -D  DANGEROUS mode: Disable all sanity checks. May result in undefined
     behaviour!

Unless you want to write a system service for it, I'd figure out where
there's a thinkfan.conf file (we don't seem to have it installed with
the package) and run 'sudo -E thinkfan -c /path/to/thinkfan.conf'

--
Efraim Flashner   <address@hidden>   אפרים פלשנר