Re: Problem with Qt5::webEngineWidget

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: Re: Problem with Qt5::webEngineWidget
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2019 16:39:40 -0400

On Mon, Jul 01, 2019 at 12:39:07PM +0430, Fakhri Sajadi wrote:
> I'm using  Qt5::webEngineWidget in my application, I wanted to package it for
> guix and face with a problem, apparently, Qt5::webEngineWidget is skipped in
> Qt package
> Link =
> https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/gnu/packages/qt.scm#n123
>
> What is its status now? Is it solve in next version of Qt?(for now  "5.11.3"
> is packaged in upstream)

I don't think the status of QtWebEngine in Guix is totally clear, but
you should be optimistic :)

In general, the requirements for software that is included in Guix are
1) the software must be free software and 2) it must fit within the Free
System Distribution Guidelines:

https://www.gnu.org/distros/free-system-distribution-guidelines.en.html

As you may know, QtWebEngine is based on the Chromium codebase but is
focused on rendering of web content rather than offering a complete web
browser.

There was some controversy about the addition of the ungoogled-chromium
package to Guix, but the objections to it were unfounded.

The QtWebEngine team says they take similar steps to avoid problems with
upstream Chromium as we did with ungoogled-chromium:

https://wiki.qt.io/QtWebEngine

So, I bet that QtWebEngine will be fine for Guix.

If there is more controversy about QtWebEngine we will moderate the
discussion so that it remains respectful, focused, and without pointless
tangents.

A practical note: Building Chromium from source requires a very powerful
computer, with lots of RAM, disk space, and the fastest CPU you can
find. I bet that QtWebEngine is similar.