Re: Servname not supported

From: Giovanni Biscuolo
Subject: Re: Servname not supported
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2019 11:52:16 +0200

Hello Dustin,

Dustin Rayner <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

> However, guix install hello and guix pull both fail. I've verified
> network access, but the error I receive is:
>
> In procedure getaddrinfo: Servname not supported for ai_socktype

What if you try `whois gnu.org` on that host? Do you get the same error?
[1]

This seems not related to Guix, please can your check permissions on
/etc/services (ls -lah /etc/services) on your host?

They should be:

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 19K dic 26  2016 /etc/services

If others (including your normal user) cannot read /etc/services they
get this error.

I never had similar issues in the past, but I can reproduce this on my
host.

$ sudo chmod o-r /etc/services
$ LC_ALL=C whois gnu.org
getaddrinfo(whois.pir.org): Servname not supported for ai_socktype

`sudo chmod o+r /etc/services` fixed the above error.

Does it help? Gio'.

[1]
https://askubuntu.com/questions/742613/network-aplications-throwing-servname-not-supported-for-ai-socktype

--