Re: Noob issues with maintaining a guix laptop system

From: Julien Lepiller
Subject: Re: Noob issues with maintaining a guix laptop system
Date: Tue, 04 Jun 2019 09:11:57 +0200

Le 4 juin 2019 08:17:11 GMT+02:00, ison <address@hidden> a écrit :
>Just to be clear, when a reconfigure fails you can make any necessary
>changes
>and run it again. Guix operations are atomic so it doesn't actually
>change the
>state of your system in any way until it finishes.
>
>But, if you're asking about rolling back the "guix pull" so that you
>can run
>reconfigure with the older versions as if you had never ran "guix pull"
>in the
>first place, then I think you could try this:
>guix describe
>which should print out the "commit" used when you last reconfigured the
>system.
>Then you could try the following command with <commit-string> replaced
>with the
>value you got above:
>guix pull --commit=<commit-string>
>That should make sure your package data matches what was used last time
>you
>successfully reconfigured.

That's a good suggestion, except guix describe will tell you the connit of the
currently installed guix, which is the one you've guix pull'ed to.

I thenk you can use guix package to manage the guix pull profile, like so:

guix package -p /var/guix/profiles/per-user/current-guix --list-generations

You can also use --roll-back or switch directly to an older generation.

But in general I think it would be better for you to report your failure(s) so
we can help and fix them :)

>As for the swapfile, it should work exactly how you showed.
>That error makes me think the problem is with how you set up the
>swapfile. Did
>you run "dd" to allocate space for the swapfile?

And run mkswap on it?