Re: warning: setlocale: LC_ALL: cannot change locale on foreign distro

From: Jack Hill
Subject: Re: warning: setlocale: LC_ALL: cannot change locale on foreign distro
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2019 14:01:50 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 3 Jun 2019, Jack Hill wrote:

Hello Guix,

I'm setting up Guix on a foreign distro (CentOS 7). I'm working on getting locales right per section 2.6.1 of the manual. I have installed the guix-locales package in buth my user's and root's profile, and have restarted guix-daemon. However, when I run package installation opterations, I see the following message,

```
/gnu/store/q19l04vd2za80mk1845pz7r8cz29qk43-bash-minimal-4.4.23/bin/bash: warning: setlocale: LC_ALL: cannot change locale (en_US.utf8)
```

There appears to be two things going on here:

1) The default locale in the provided systemd unit, en_US.utf8, is not provided by the glibc-locales package but rather only by the glibc-utf8-locales package.

I think the fix for this would be to clarify which package should be installed in root's profile when installing on a systemd foreign distro.

2) The quoting in systemd unit is wrong. Changing

```
Environment=GUIX_LOCPATH='/var/guix/profiles/per-user/root/guix-profile/lib/locale'
 LC_ALL=en_US.utf8
```

```
Environment='GUIX_LOCPATH=/var/guix/profiles/per-user/root/guix-profile/lib/locale'
 LC_ALL=en_US.utf8
```

fixed the problem.

I'll open bugs for each of these issues.

Best,
Jack