Re: gnutls guile

From: ng0
Subject: Re: gnutls guile
Date: Fri, 17 May 2019 08:53:24 +0000

Hi Ricardo,

thanks for getting back to me.

One detail I'm still not clear about:
Ludovic said the guile bindings are maintained by Ludovic.
But recent activity in the guile parts is done by other people.
Since guix depends on this it's still okay to ask for help here,
but would it be more appropriate to report elsewhere? Or do you
still have some way to contribute changes back to GnuTLS?

Ricardo Wurmus transcribed 627 bytes:

> Hi ng0,
>
> > The original error post:
> > https://lists.gnutls.org/pipermail/gnutls-help/2019-February/004488.html
> >
> > I hope this is enough context to get a reply.
>
> from the original post I see that you don’t expect that triplet.  From
> your last two emails I don’t see why you can’t just patch it out and be
> on your merry way.  I also don’t see why Netbsd would change the
> triplet.  You wrote “This happens to make the builds and filenames more
> predicatable”, but I guess you can just change this, no?
>
> Have you attempted to stop the triplet from being changed?

No, this is done by pkgsrc facility, which targets more than just NetBSD.
Consequentially this would be against the pkgsrc guidelines (and probably
hard to do).
I think ( / hope ) I mentioned in my previous email(s) the location of
the mk file which handles this. The tl;dr is that this is at the core
of pkgsrc.
I can look into wether this is possible, but in my opinion there should
be an exception for pkgsrc: GnuTLS is not part of the base system, so
the only way to get GnuTLS (and its bindings) is via pkgsrc even on NetBSD;
ie pkgsrc is the defacto way to install gnutls with guile bindings.
I will gather more information, but
GSoC is upcoming and it might take some time until I get back to you.

In case I can provide more useful information in addition to asking the right
people wether this is possible, let me know.

Cheers,
ng0