Re: Having a problem invoking curl only when using guix pull

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
Subject: Re: Having a problem invoking curl only when using guix pull
Date: Fri, 17 May 2019 03:04:36 +0200

John,

John Soo wrote:
Others may correct me if I’m wrong here, but during the build phase, network io is off limits. This is since there is not way to reliably guarantee the contents of things gotten over the network remain unchanged between builds, and so would break the immutability guarantees of the package system. Again, I could be wrong, I hope others will correct me.

You are one hundred percent correct.

The exception to this rule are ‘fixed-output derivations’ such as url-fetch, which may fetch whatever they want from anywhere as long as the end result matches a provided hash.

These same restrictions do not apply to ‘host-side’ Scheme code, however. One can use the phase of the moon to generate a package record.

Kind regards,

T G-R