Re: Fingerprint Service

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Fingerprint Service
Date: Wed, 15 May 2019 23:10:36 +0200

Hi,

"Raghav Gururajan" <address@hidden> skribis:

> Based on this
> (https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/Miscellaneous-Services.html#Miscellaneous-Services
> (https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/Miscellaneous-Services.html#Miscellaneous-Services)),
> I have included "fprintd-service-type" (with default config, that is,
> values left blank) to my system services in the system config. The
> "guix system reconfigure" went without any errors. But it appears the
> service is not actually added to the system.
>
> When I checked "herd status" as root, the fprintd service was not
> running. Also, when I did "herd start fprintd", I am getting "service
> not found". That means the service itself is not available in the
> system right? Weird!?

fprintd is a D-Bus service, meaning that it’s not managed by shepherd,
and thus not accessible with the ‘herd’ command.

Instead, it’s supposed to be started on demand when applications ask for
the fingerprint service.  The ‘fprintd’ package provides several
commands starting with ‘fprintd-’ that should allow you to check whether
it’s working.

Now, I’ve never actually used this service, so take it with a grain of
salt.  :-)

HTH,
Ludo’.