Re: A few questions about guix containers

From: Christopher Baines
Subject: Re: A few questions about guix containers
Date: Sat, 11 May 2019 23:25:16 +0100

Alex Sassmannshausen <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to get to grips with Guix's container support.
>
> Specifically, I can create containerised system using
> $ guix system container /path/to/sysconf.scm
>
> I should then be able to run commands in that container using
> $ guix container exec PID CMD
>
> But here's the rub: how do I find the PID of the container launched
> using 'guix system container'?

I usually use htop or pgrep. I've been thinking recently about getting
the script that launches the container to write the PID out somewhere,
although I think you could also achieve this by sharing a directory
between the container and the host system, and having a process in the
container create a file in that directory. Then you could maybe use the
PID that owns that shared file...

> Also, I can relatively straight forwardly map network ports to guix
> systems using
> $ guix system vm /path/to/sysconf.scm
> and qemu's -net user,hostfwd syntax
>
> Can I achieve similar mappings using 'guix system container'?
>
> Is anyone using containers to test complex networked services in system
> configurations?

So I've been using guix system container with some success for a while
now, but I've been relying on this old patch I wrote to add shared
network support, in the same way that guix environment can do it [1]

1: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=28128

I haven't given it enough attention, but recently Arun Isaac looks to
have picked it up, so I'm hopeful that this functionality might be more
widely available soon.

One thing I'd love to see in this area is to be able to do networking
similar to how libvirt/virt-manager does it. You can manage virtual
networks there, and I'm not knowledgeable enough about networking to
know what exactly it's doing, but I'd love to be able to run a
container, and have it's network namespace it on a separate IP address
on a virtual network. This would avoid port conflict problems with
sharing localhost with the host system.

Chris