cannot set max open files (ulimit)

From: Arne Babenhauserheide
Subject: cannot set max open files (ulimit)
Date: Sat, 11 May 2019 00:34:28 +0200

Hello Guix Hackers,

I am struggling to change the nofiles limit. When I try to build, I
regularly run into "too many open files" errors, and ulimit gives me

$ ulimit -Hn
4096
$ ulimit -Sn
1024

To increase that I tried to add the following:

 (services (cons*
          (pam-limits-service
           (list
            (pam-limits-entry "*" 'hard 'nofile 'unlimited)
            (pam-limits-entry "*" 'soft 'nofile 'unlimited)))
          (service sysctl-service-type
                   (sysctl-configuration
                    (settings '(("fs.file-max" . "500000")))))
                  (modify-services %desktop-services
                                   (ntp-service-type config =>
                                                     (ntp-configuration
                                                      (servers (list
"pool.ntp.org"))
                                                      (allow-large-adjustment?
#t))))))

But after restarting I still get the same ulimits.

I need to get this fixed, since I hope that it’s the last thing which
prevents me from setting up a fully functioning homeoffice environment.

What am I doing wrong?

Best wishes,
Arne
--