Re: good overview presentation?

From: Christopher Baines
Subject: Re: good overview presentation?
Date: Thu, 09 May 2019 17:39:59 +0100

Miles Fidelman <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Folks,
>
> Is there a good, current, overview presentation on all things GUIX?
> The whole who, what, where, when, why, how, how much, and who cares
> overview that one might give at USENIX, describing a new distro.
>
> I've been doing a lot of googling, and not finding anything remotely
> current.  Lots of stuff on detailed aspects, some videos (but no
> slides) from FOSDEM 2019 - but nothing that gives the big picture, the
> overall architecture, the build process, and so forth.
>
> It seems like the release of v1.0.0 merits a serious
> intro/overview/tutorial for those of us who might be interested in
> exploring/adopting GUIX.
>
> If there's such a beast floating around, could someone point me at it
> (and maybe add a prominent link at
> https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/).
>
> If not... a polite suggestion to the team:  Nobody else can put
> something together, it's all too new, and you're the only folks who
> have the big picture.  Please share!

Hi Miles,

There are some talks described here [1]. Guix has only been around as a
project for the last ~7 years, so recency shouldn't be too much of an
issue, especially if you're interested in a more general overview.

1: http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/maintenance.git/tree/talks

There's also two talks [2] which I've given in the past on Guix, they're
a few years old, but I think most of the material is still correct.

2: https://www.cbaines.net/projects/guix/

The FOSDEM 2018 one is shorter, and higher level [3].

3: https://www.cbaines.net/projects/guix/fosdem-2018/presentation/#/

The Freenode live! 2017 one is longer and more technical [4].

4: https://www.cbaines.net/projects/guix/freenode-live-2017/presentation/#/

Chris