Re: "System Package" vs "System Service"

From: Chris Marusich
Subject: Re: "System Package" vs "System Service"
Date: Wed, 08 May 2019 23:01:25 -0700

"Raghav Gururajan" <address@hidden> writes:

>> I'm sorry to hear that Tor is giving you such trouble. Maybe there is
>> some helpful information in one of the files in /var/log? Perhaps dmesg
>> has some useful output?
>
> I will check the log and get back to you.
> How do I use dmesg? Should I install any package and use any specific command?

The Linux kernel logs information in a ring buffer as it runs.  That log
can be viewed by invoking the "dmesg" tool.  The tool is available in
the "util-linux" package.

The same messages will eventually be logged to syslog, and on Guix
System I think the default place they are stored is /var/log/messages.
The ring buffer contains only the most recent messages.

--
Chris