Re: Any questions yet

From: Timothy Sample
Subject: Re: Any questions yet
Date: Wed, 08 May 2019 20:59:29 -0400

Hi Jone,

Jone <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello, people! I don't even know exactly what I would like to ask))
> Well, for example: two calls "guix pull" as root and as user - what
> does the first if the root has 0 packages (besides guix itself,
> right?) But how is this related in the future? I still do not
> understand what I do not understand))

I guess I don’t know exactly what I’m answering, then, but I’ll do my
best!  :)

Running “guix pull” updates Guix the program which also means updating
the list of package definitions.  It does not affect your current
packages – only Guix itself.  This means that it does not matter if you
have 0 packages or 100.

Technically speaking, you usually have (at least) two profiles per user.
One is the “user” profile, and it contains all of the packages you’ve
added either using “guix install” or through a manifest.  The other is
profile that “guix pull” uses.  It only includes a special up-to-date
Guix packages (with all of its dependencies).  Usually, the “user”
profile is linked to from “~/.guix-profile”, and the “guix pull” profile
is linked to from “~/.configure/guix/current”.

If you really want to understand these profiles, the manual is your best
bet.  For the “user” profile, see “(guix) Invoking guix package”.  For
the “guix pull” profile, see “(guix) Invoking guix pull”.  Here are
links to these sections on the Web:

<https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/Invoking-guix-package.html>

<https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/Invoking-guix-pull.html>

> I know Scheme/Guile only at the level of a ordinary user, so I ask
> such stupid questions, sorry. And English is so-so)) But I love
> freedom! Thanks.
>
> Yes, and also: I wrote a couple of package definitions for several
> XFCE plugins that are not in the repositories. Is it impossible to
> send somewhere? True, the versions is old..

It is possible!  You should update them first, if you can.  Then, you
can send them to us as patches via email.  It may take some time, but
eventually a friendly reviewer will look at your patches, maybe provide
some suggestions on how to improve them, and finally apply them to Guix.
Again, the Guix manual has a good guide to everything you need to know
to do this.  See “(guix) Contributing”, which is on the Web at the
following address:

<https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/Contributing.html#Contributing>

Particularly, check out the last section called “Submitting Patches”.

Hope that helps!

-- Tim