Re: "System Package" vs "System Service"

From: Chris Marusich
Subject: Re: "System Package" vs "System Service"
Date: Wed, 08 May 2019 00:18:25 -0700

Hi Raghav,

"Raghav Gururajan" <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello Chris!
>
> Thank you for your email. I have already tried configuring my browser
> to use localhost's tor port as proxy, but getting error "proxy is
> refusing connection". When I check tor service with "herd status", tor
> wasn't running. When I did "herd start tor", I am getting error
> "service tor failed to start".

Just a reminder: Please bottom-post when replying on this list.

I'm sorry to hear that Tor is giving you such trouble.  Maybe there is
some helpful information in one of the files in /var/log?  Perhaps dmesg
has some useful output?

As a last resort, another way you might be able to debug the problem is
by attempting to manually launch Tor and watch what happens.  For
example, something like this ought to mimic the way it starts:

sudo -u tor /path/to/tor -f /path/to/torrc

You'll need to replace /path/to/tor with the path to the Tor executable,
and you'll need to replace the /path/to/torrc with the path to a file
containing valid Tor configuration.  I think if you make a torrc file
that contains the following, it should work (I have not tested this):

  User tor
  DataDirectory /var/lib/tor
  PidFile /var/run/tor/tor.pid
  Log notice syslog

For details on the config file syntax, see "man tor".

--
Chris