Re: A few questions about channels

From: ison
Subject: Re: A few questions about channels
Date: Mon, 6 May 2019 15:13:30 -0600

> This should work just like it would for GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH.  Are you
> saying that the patch files you have created in your channel are not
> being found?

Correct, they're not being found. But I do not have the variable
$GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH set, because I thought it was being deprecated. Do I need it
to make patches work? Everything else seems to work without it except patches.

So for example, if I create a repository with directory structure:
* gnu/packages for .scm package files
* gnu/packages/patches for .patch files
then the packages are correctly added and I can install them like any other
package. But if I add a .patch file into the patches directory and reference it
with (search-patches "filename.patch") it can't find it.

I have also tried various other combinations of the patches directory, including
placing patches in with the package files, placing everything at the root of the
repo, etc.
Perhaps I still just haven't found the right directory structure?

Also in case it matters, I think the patch format is correct as well, because it
succeeds if I don't use search-patches and instead just supply the full path to
the patch file.

> Actually, you can also just write "/home/myuser/src/my-guix-packages".
> The "file://" part is fine to add, but it is not necessary.  I think
> (but am not sure) that you can use any protocol understood by Git here.

Oh, I feel silly for not having tried this. Thanks.

As for the authentication issue, as long as I can do a local repository that's
all I need personally. So I have no strong opinions on how best to handle it.

Thanks for the replies