Re: IceCat from Guix all monospaced font – Summary

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: IceCat from Guix all monospaced font – Summary
Date: Sun, 05 May 2019 17:46:07 -0400

Zelphir Kaltstahl <address@hidden> writes:

> Ah it could be, that a package changed something in `~/.profile`. I will
> check … No it still looks the same as before.

Guix never modifies your ~/.profile.  The relevant file is:
~/.guix-profile/etc/profile, which is generated each time you update
your user profile.  On a Guix system, it is sourced from /etc/profile.

On other systems, you should arrange to source that file in your login
shell with GUIX_PROFILE set appropriately, e.g. with the following code
in your ~/.bash_profile or equivalent:

  GUIX_PROFILE="$HOME/.guix-profile" ; \
  source "$HOME/.guix-profile/etc/profile"

This is recommended in section 4.2 of the Guix manual, here:

https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/Invoking-guix-package.html

> Also I think any installation adding something to my `~/.profile`
> should tell the user about such a change.

Again, Guix will never do this.  However, 'guix package' should tell you
if you're missing environment variable settings that are needed by the
newly installed packages.

> No package I installed yesterday did so.

Hmm.  Are you confident about this?  If so, that casts doubt on my
hypothesis that this was about missing environment variable settings.
Unfortunately, I currently have no other hypothesis to explain why a
reboot was required to fix your IceCat.

        Mark