Re: FreeTube

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
Subject: Re: FreeTube
Date: Wed, 01 May 2019 11:46:42 +0200

Björn, Dexter,

Björn Höfling wrote:
I wonder how this gets into FSF directory when there is no way to
bootstrap that on a free distro.

It hasn't yet:

‘No revision has been approved for this page. View the most recent revision.’

I presume that'll be the first objection during review, if bootstrapping is at all a concern (and it should be).

Guix has the youtube-dl package, you can use that directly to download
the videos and watch them offline.

‘mpv <https://foo>’ will even call it for you behind the scenes, without the download wait. Actually the only way to still watch such videos on less performant machines.

I also use [0] with uBlock Origin in Icecat to make YouTube itself almost usable, but none of these approaches address the privacy concerns that FreeTube claims to do.

Kind regards,

T G-R

[0]: https://zge.us.to/files/anti-youtube.block​