Re: Newt and Guix pull failing

From: Brett Gilio
Subject: Re: Newt and Guix pull failing
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2019 17:15:46 -0500

Ludovic Courtès writes:

> Hi Brett,
>
> Brett Gilio <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> building /gnu/store/frc4lyhrijq5ss3n2zmz6bgkdfqr44k1-guix-system.drv...
>> |builder for `/gnu/store/frc4lyhrijq5ss3n2zmz6bgkdfqr44k1-guix-system.drv'
>> failed to produce output path
>> `/gnu/store/mhkf633xnly60av67gvxnpmqcykjxxjx-guix-system'
>> build of /gnu/store/frc4lyhrijq5ss3n2zmz6bgkdfqr44k1-guix-system.drv failed
>> View build log at
>> '/var/log/guix/drvs/fr/c4lyhrijq5ss3n2zmz6bgkdfqr44k1-guix-system.drv.bz2'.
>> cannot build derivation
>> `/gnu/store/fmbl1qkfjiqarrhv4xxwbbq832372nlf-profile.drv': 1 dependencies
>> couldn't be built
>> guix pull: error: build of
>> `/gnu/store/fmbl1qkfjiqarrhv4xxwbbq832372nlf-profile.drv' failed
>>
>> The first build log shows
>>
>> (repl-version 0 0)
>> (exception misc-error (value #f) (value "~A ~S") (value ("no code for
>> module" (newt))) (value #f))
>
> This is happening because modules of your channel depends on Guile-Newt,
> and Guile-Newt is missing, so ‘guix pull’ fails to build your channel
> modules.
>
> How would ‘guix pull’ know that your channel depends on Guile-Newt?  It
> cannot guess it, and currently there’s no way to express such a
> dependency.
>
> Does that make sense?
>
> Also note that a channel is meant to provide packages or services, so it
> is surprising to have a channel depend on Guile-Newt.
>
> Ludo’.

Hi Ludo,

Thank you. That makes sense. I know that a channel is not really
"intended" for this, but I was stretching it to see what I could make it
do as far as a "whole system configuration" that I could pull and
install using just a single repository without submodules.

I believe you are right, this isn't in the realm of possibility for a
channel to be used like this. I wonder there is a way to
get guix to ignore specific files with the .scm extension.

Anyways,

Thank you for your help.

Brett