Re: Changing user-account's shell

From: Tanguy Le Carrour
Subject: Re: Changing user-account's shell
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2019 22:22:48 +0200

Le 04/17, Pierre Neidhardt a écrit :
> I've never changed my shell in Guix, so things might be different here,
> but I know that many other distributions expect a Bourne-compatible
> login shell or else there will be issues when parsing some startup
> scripts.

I've been happily using Fish as my default shell (defined in `/etc/passwd`)
for years! First on Debian, then on Parabola/Arch. And everything has
been perfectly fine so far.

> The recommended alternative (again, on other systems) is to drop into
> fish from .bashrc.
>
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fish#Setting_fish_as_interactive_shell_only

Thanks! The Arch community has **really** done a great job with its wiki!
Unfortunately, calling Fish from Bash is not really sexy! This is what I
do on systems where I cannot set my default shell and I don't like to have to
do one extra ctrl+d to close a terminal. ^_^'

--
Tanguy