Re: Getting rid of "source file [...] newer than compiled" messages

From: Katherine Cox-Buday
Subject: Re: Getting rid of "source file [...] newer than compiled" messages
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2019 15:20:08 -0500

Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> writes:

> Maybe.  But subsequent calls to “guix pull” should give you new store
> items anyway, and those should be fine.

That's odd. I have definitely run `guix pull` several times on this machine.

> Is there anything special about your setup perhaps?  E.g. running the
> daemon as some other user than root, using btrfs, etc.

The store is mounted on a RAID-6 array with an ext4 filesystem. Maybe
the striping is confusing things? Here's the mount point:

#+BEGIN_EXAMPLE
  $ mount |grep gnu
  /dev/mapper/vg1-volume_2 on /gnu type ext4
(rw,relatime,synoacl,stripe=32,data=writeback,jqfmt=vfsv0,usrjquota=aquota.user,grpjquota=aquota.group)
#+END_EXAMPLE

>> I still hold the opinion that the guix toolchain should be able to heal
>> store items, regardless of how they got that way, or whether it should
>> be theoretically possible. Do you disagree?
>
> No, I agree with you.  That’s one of the reasons why “guix gc
> --verify=repair,contents” exists.

Hm, does this also look at timestamps? Why didn't this give me any
output or fix the issue?

--
Katherine