Re: MATE on gdm

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: MATE on gdm
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2019 22:15:52 +0200

Hello Guy,

(Note that you can get answers in a number of different languages on
this list: <https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/contact/>.  Do not
hesitate to ask questions in your native language!)

Guy fleury <address@hidden> skribis:

> i'm trying to build this attached system config with both gnome desktop and
> mate desktop(i changed nothing except where are gnome to mate). At the end I
> get this error:
> To complete the upgrade, run 'herd restart SERVICE' to stop,
> upgrade, and restart each service that was not automatically restarted.
> shepherd: Evaluating user expression (let* ((services (map primitive-load
> (?))) # ?) ?).
> guix system: error: exception caught while executing 'start' on service
> 'user-homes':
> Throw to key `match-error' with args `("match" "no matching pattern"
> "#<<user-account> name: \"root\" password: \"\" uid: 0 group: \"root\"
> supplementary-groups: () comment: \"System administrator\"
> home-directory: #<procedure home-directory (x)> create-home-directory?: #t
> shell: \"/gnu/store/qn1ax1fkj16x280m1rv7mcimfmn9l2pf-bash-4.4.23/bin/bash\"
> system?: #f>")'.
> bootloader successfully installed on '/dev/sda'
> but i continue with "guix system reconfigure"

Yes, there error above is harmless; it occurs when upgrading from a
relatively old Guix.

> * or the recent use of gdm doesn't yet be tested for mate(someone to test?)

I don’t think we explicitly tested GDM with MATE, but it should work.
What problems did you have with MATE specifically?

Note that it’s usually easier to test these things in a VM, with ‘guix
system vm’.

Thanks,
Ludo’.