Re: Does your printer work with Guix System? Please share!

From: Chris Marusich
Subject: Re: Does your printer work with Guix System? Please share!
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2019 23:30:52 -0700

Hi everyone,

Chris Marusich <address@hidden> writes:

> "Jovany Leandro G.C" <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> and my best option, go to shop center with your laptop with
>> software libre 100% connect the printer and see you can install
>> it and print.
>
> That's a great idea!  I'll see if the stores near me let me do this.

I went to a store and tested 8 different printers.  They didn't work
with Guix System, but I couldn't tell if the printer's fault or not.
Going forward, I think I'm going to bring along a more mainstream
FSDG-compliant distro, like Trisquel, so it's easier to tell if the
failure to print is a Guix-specific problem.

In some cases, when I printed a PDF from Evince, it printed the top half
of the PDF on the top half of the page, and the bottom half of the page
was blank.  It was as if the printer stopped printing in mid-sentence.
In spite of this, I was sometimes able to print an entire page from the
CUPS admin web UI, and also while viewing a PDF from within IceCat.  So
I think our Evince is messed up.

Evince has a history of suspicious printing behavior on Guix.  See:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2019-02/msg00195.html

I also noticed that for each printer with a scanner, sane-find-scanner
was able to find the scanner, but simple-scan and scanimage said they
couldn't find the scanner, even when I ran them as root.  Maybe I
configured it incorrectly?  I wasn't able to scan at all.

Anyway, my quest for a printer continues.  I'll let you know if and when
I find "The One"!  As always, if anyone has more info to share, please
do.

--
Chris