Re: Build package for multiple platforms

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
Subject: Re: Build package for multiple platforms
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2019 18:29:36 +0100

mikadoZero,

mikadoZero wrote:
(service qemu-binfmt-service-type
 (qemu-binfmt-configuration
(platforms (lookup-qemu-platforms "arm" "aarch64" "ppc" "mips64el"))
   (guix-support? #t)))

When I try to do a system reconfigure I get this error:

error: qemu-binfmt-service-type: unbound variable
hint: Did you forget a `use-modules' form?

qemu-binfmt-service-type is defined in (gnu services virtualization).

I just use grep, but found out while researching this mail that we provide a nice ‘guix system search’ command to find out which module provides a service

 λ guix system search qemu
 name: qemu-binfmt
 location: gnu/services/virtualization.scm:745:2
 extends: file-systems shepherd-root guix
 shepherdnames: qemu-binfmt
description: This service supports transparent emulation of binaries compiled for other architectures using QEMU and the `binfmt_misc' functionality of the kernel Linux.
 relevance: 5

The closest package I can find using `guix package -s` is proot but adding the module linux and the package proot does not solve this error
message.

Adding packages to your system configuration won't (and can't and mustn't) affect services in this way.

Kind regards,

T G-R