Re: Color calibrating scanner with GNOME

From: Jack Hill
Subject: Re: Color calibrating scanner with GNOME
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2019 22:56:47 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 16 Mar 2019, Jack Hill wrote:

I can see the scanner from my unprivileged user, and it shows up the the GNOME hardware/calibration dialog. Unfortunately, clicking on the "calibrate" button does nothing. On Debian buster with GNOME 3.30, doing so brings up a calibration wizard.

I believe that I have determined why this is so. There is needed software which is not yet packaged for Guix. The calibration wizard is provided by gnome-color-manager [0]. Gnome-color-manager depends on argyllcms [1], which is also not yet packaged. Argyllcms in turn requires the Jam build tool [2][3] or the Jam fork by FreeType, ftjam [4]. Jam is also not yet packaged. As a little twist for Jam, it looks like Perforce upstream stopped developing it in 2014, and the FreeType fork's latest release seems even older. It is still available in modern Debian, so hopefully this won't be too much of hurdle.

[0] https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-color-manager
[1] https://www.argyllcms.com/
[2] https://www.perforce.com/documentation/jam-documentation
[3]