Re: Borg takes forever to upgrade

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
Subject: Re: Borg takes forever to upgrade
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2019 21:39:06 +0100

HiPhish,

HiPhish wrote:
Hello everyone,

I was trying to upgrade my packages and Borg (the backup program) has been
taking over an hour already.

[…]

I have eventually decided to cancel the upgrade
process and tried upgrading all packages except Borg. The upgrade process finished without problems in a reasonable amount of time, so it is definitely
Borg where things get stuck.

Interrupting after an hour is a bit too soon to say it's stuck. Just from experience, many backup programmes tend to have long test suites (a trait which they share with many databases and compressors, probably because they're a bit of both). The build was chugging along. What did the log say was happening?

What is strange here is that you didn't get a substitute for Borg. I did[0]. Are you deliberately building Borg locally?

Kind regards,

T G-R

[0]: For

 /gnu/store/qplgyx9h65k509l02bfc4cz9dlid00ck-borg-1.1.9.drv
→ /gnu/store/5fazf5kwalvv3r4bin74fzgxp8hmfdha-borg-1.1.9

which is a graft of

 /gnu/store/pgib6ji5792y739jwv90zk679jqxji1q-borg-1.1.9