Re: Outdated Qutebrowser and missing qtwebengine?

From: Marius Bakke
Subject: Re: Outdated Qutebrowser and missing qtwebengine?
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2019 20:21:21 +0100

Florian Thevissen <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'd very much like to see a recent qtwebengine-based qutebrowser
> packaged in guix myself. I understand that in the past there were
> concerns about the chromium dependency, as Marius wrote:
>
>  > As for the status of the Chromium patch, following the recent Pale
> Moon discussion I no longer think it satisfies FSDG[1] requirements and
> will have to take some further steps to properly hide the "Web Store".
>
> Chromium has now been integrated in guix proper about two weeks ago.
>
> Is there still anything that might speak against packaging qtwebengine,
> and thus let us enjoy an up-to-date qutebrowser?

Hello!

I don't think there is anything preventing us from packaging
QtWebEngine.  In fact I have attached a patch that does just that.

I haven't fully audited the source yet, but they seem to be doing the
Right Thing (scrubbing non-free and otherwise unneeded stuff).

Can you try this patch and ideally get something else (Qutebrowser) to
use it?

Thanks!