Re: how define why qtwebkit compiles every time i ru update?

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: Re: how define why qtwebkit compiles every time i ru update?
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2019 14:09:12 -0500

On Wed, Feb 27, 2019 at 06:49:52PM +0100, address@hidden wrote:
> 1. How to see info about installed package?
> I think `guix package -s regexp` shows everything it find in repository. Also
> `guix package --show=element` does the same but for exact element name. So
> these show info from repository. Which command let me know info about
> installed package? I did not found it in guix reference card and manual.

You can use `guix package --list-installed`.

> 2. How to determine why qtwebkit compiles every time I run `guix pull && guix
> package --substitute-urls=https://ci.guix.info <https://ci.guix.info> -u` ?
> I think I have some problems in my system (may be for that I've installed
> blender 2.80 from my own declaration file?)

Basically, because one of your installed packages depends on qtwebkit
but qtwebkit has not been built on the build farm.

Blender does not depend on qtwebkit.

You can see what packages depend on qtwebkit like this:

$ guix graph --type=reverse-package qtwebkit | dot -Tsvg > ~/tmp/out.svg

`dot` is from graphviz.

Then view ~/tmp/out.svg however you like, for example with Inkscape.

> 3. And the last: is ci.guix.info substitution server by default or I need to
> type it in --substitute-urls option?
> By the way no any speed advantages when I type it. My last 4 updates was
> continuing for 2 days. And I need your help.

The default substitute server for new installations is
<https://ci.guix.info>. If you installed 0.16.0 or later, it is the
default.

If you installed before 0.16.0, you can choose to add it based on these
instructions:

https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/Substitutes.html