Re: Need help porting eDuke32

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
Subject: Re: Need help porting eDuke32
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2019 10:57:17 +0100

Giovanni Biscuolo wrote:
if so: can you build EDuke32 without "BUILD engine"?

I doubt it.

BUILD *is* the Duke & friends engine; rip it out and you're left with the script for a game you can't play. It's GPL though. You can read the code and imagine what it would look like!

If there is a libre rewrite of the entire engine, I haven't found it.

Sigh[0]:

Q: Why did you write a custom license instead of using GPL (GNU's
    General Public License)?

 A: Short answer: to satisfy my ego :)
    Long answer: I know GPL is an industry standard, but I felt
    that it was way too long and boring for anyone to read
seriously. I chose to write a nice short license that everybody
    could understand. This way, people unfamiliar with GPL would
    understand their rights.

Great job.

T G-R

[0]: http://advsys.net/ken/buildsrc/