Re: Building and installing packages with modifications

From: Chris Marusich
Subject: Re: Building and installing packages with modifications
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2019 01:34:11 -0800

ison <address@hidden> writes:

> Although it seems like this can get very ugly very quickly, so I'm also
> curious
> now if anyone else knows a better way to handle this. It's almost as if you
> need
> to make "curl" a global (and then modify it) so that all packages will use
> your
> modified curl instead of the one they pull in from use-modules.
> I'm not sure.

I don't know of a better way, myself.  Guix insists on running the
tests.  We've talked about ways we might be able to relax that
restriction [1], but for now it seems difficult to do.  In addition, if
substitutes are more frequently available and you have authorized them,
then it isn't as big of a problem.

In the meantime, modifying packages can be a good work-around.  In the
case of a package that gets used by many other packages, it would be
difficult because you would want to replace practically every reference
(maybe less, if you only need a few packages).  An intrepid hacker might
be able to whip something up by using (guix discovery), though.

Hope that helps!

Footnotes:
[1]  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2018-04/msg00071.html

--