Re: printing pdf with evince

From: Chris Marusich
Subject: Re: printing pdf with evince
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2019 20:01:05 -0800

Hi nightowl,

nightowl <address@hidden> writes:

> I recently notice that when I try to send a pdf document to the
> printer using the gnome viewer evince, it will not print text.  For
> comparison, I can also print a pdf document from within the icecat
> browser, and it works good.  Anyone know why evince would behave this
> way when printing hard copy of text from a pdf?  I read that the gnome
> settings key 'override-restrictions' for org.gnome.Evince schema
> should be set to 'true' and that is what I currently have by default.

That's probably worth filing a bug report about.  The fact that you can
print via Icecat is interesting.  I've had...trouble...printing from
Guix System (formerly known as GuixSD) in the past.  But I think what
you're experiencing may be different from what I experienced.

Are you able to print a test page successfully from the cups web
interface?  To try this, go to:

http://localhost:631/

Click on "Printers".  Select the printer you want.  Click on the
"Maintenance" drop-down menu.  Select "Print Test Page".  You can watch
the status of the job in the web interface, also.

Also, you might be able to find out more about why the Evince print job
is misbehaving if you examine it in the CUPS web interface.  You can
also modify CUPS logging to make it log more verbose messages.  I've
found that helps narrow down problems sometimes.  You can sometimes find
interesting error messages that way.

I'd also look into debugging Evince - maybe it has an option that spits
out more verbose messages?  Try starting it on the command line with
"evince"; maybe it's saying something useful.

I hope that helps.  You're not alone!  Let's try to solve this
together.  I wish printing were easier.  :-(

--
Chris