ci.guix.info 504 gateway timeout (was Re: guix package builds, subsitute

From: Giovanni Biscuolo
Subject: ci.guix.info 504 gateway timeout (was Re: guix package builds, subsitutes and --no-build)
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2019 16:14:46 +0100

Leo,

thanks for helping!

I'm also involving guix-devel since probably this issue must escalate
:-)

I think my specific problem is caused by the "Gateway Timeout" error
from ci.guix.info, see below for details

Leo Famulari <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

> Did you authorize substitutes for ci.guix.info?
>
> https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/Substitutes.html

not explicitly but my (user) guix accepts it by default, I was able to
install other packages with no problem, also tried again some minutes
ago and succeeded installing gnumeric

this also means that my problem installing ungoogled-chromium substitute
does not depend from my X.509 problem shown below (subsitutes are
installed via https://ci.guix.info and I'm able to install them)

still, if I try to install ungoogled-chromium on my machine, it starts
building:

$ guix package -i ungoogled-chromium
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.info'... 100.0%
building
/gnu/store/4mvzzx2jmr4r4p2kx0hcvwr9s9lvx0gd-ungoogled-chromium-72.0.3626.109.drv...
| 'unpack' phase

now, guix weather tell me this:

$ guix weather --manifest=.ungoogled-chromium.manifest
computing 1 package derivations for x86_64-linux...
looking for 1 store items on https://ci.guix.info...
https://ci.guix.info
  100.0% substitutes available (1 out of 1)
  99,3 MiB of nars (compressed)
  288,3 MiB on disk (uncompressed)
  0,004 seconds per request (0,0 seconds in total)
  262,4 requests per second
  'https://ci.guix.info/api/queue?nr=1000' returned 504 ("Gateway Time-out")

actually all https://ci.guix.info/ returns 504 "Gateway Time-out":
AFAIU this mean I'm not able to install that package (possibly others)
for some problem in the CDN

>> guix/build/download.scm:313:6: In procedure tls-wrap:
>> X.509 certificate of 'ci.guix.info' could not be verified:
>>   signer-not-found
>>   invalid
>
> Also, did you set up X.509 certificates for use by Guix?
>
> https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/Application-Setup.html

ouch no :-S (I'm on foreign distro)

I've installed nss-certs (and configured my env) and now "guix weather"
does not report the above error

>> and checking the build logs it's clear my problem is lack of space in /tmp
>
> Yes, I don't know off the top of my head how much space it needs but
> since the source alone is several gigabytes I recommend 15 GB.

wow: I don't have so much space in /tmp so I have to find an alternative
:-) (i.e. grow my volume, LVM unfortunately [1])

>> please how can I set a different TMPDIR for the build process?
>
> You need to set this variable in the context of the guix-daemon:
>
> https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/Invoking-guix_002ddaemon.html

the builder! guix-daemon is The Builder!

thanks Leo: I read that once in the manual but missed it yesterday when
I needed it :-S

in my case (I'm on Debian with systemd) I have to add an "Environment="
parameter in /etc/systemd/system/guix-daemon.service, reload the systemd
file and restart the service

kudos
Giovanni

[1] because LVM is still not fully supported by Guix

--
Giovanni Biscuolo

Xelera IT Infrastructures