Re: Where is mysql/administration command?

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
Subject: Re: Where is mysql/administration command?
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2019 21:47:15 +0100

Hullo, znavko!

znavko wrote:
I use su, just for own commodity. The difference for me is that su does not need to type 'sudo' every time.

OK, thanks! I thought that perhaps mysql/mariadb was picky about how they were run.

Some howtos mention meariadb package, the others type mysql.
What is the difference between mariadb and mysql?

Guix ships both, but prefers ‘mariadb’. I use PostgreSQL, so I'm no expert here, but IIRC MariaDB was forked from MySQL when the latter was taken over by Oracle.

MariaDB claims[1] to be compatible with MySQL, whatever that means, but they also have things like their own storage engine with claimed advantages[2] over MyISAM so they're going their own way as well.

I don't see the point of using ‘mysql’ tools to administrate a ‘mariadb’ back-end. It seems like a huge risk with no benefits.

Kind regards,

T G-R

Sent from my GNU Emacs

[1]: https://mariadb.com/kb/en/library/mariadb-vs-mysql-compatibility/