Re: User-Level services

From: nly
Subject: Re: User-Level services
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2019 17:34:08 +0000

>I would love to see something closer to an event triggered service than forking once and forgetting.
You can use shepherd and herd commands (without sudo).
For example:
$ shepherd [-c config.scm]
$ herd status

Then configure your `config.scm` as you like. As a default shepherd will use `$XDG_CONFIG_HOME/shepherd/init.scm`, and if the variable is not set then `$HOME/.config/shepherd/init.scm`.

>It would be awesome if the Guix System could provide a way to configure these declaratively, too.
That can be done by generating a text-file in store containing the desired config then symbolic linking it to `$HOME.config/shepherd/init.scm`. This all can be done using guix daemon(declaratively).

Though I am not sure how you can 'autostart' the service at boot time and declaratively?

Cheers
amar

On February 9, 2019 1:14:28 PM UTC, John Soo <address@hidden> wrote:
Thanks Chris,

I wasn’t aware of the autostart spec so I took a look. Thanks! After reading it I’m not sure it provides the retry support (among other things) that a user service might provide. I would love to see something closer to an event triggered service than forking once and forgetting.

It would be awesome if the Guix System could provide a way to configure these declaratively, too. I am not saying shepherd would be the mechanism, necessarily either. I just think people - myself included - will probably want this feature.

Thanks again,

John

On Feb 9, 2019, at 12:48 AM, Chris Marusich <address@hidden> wrote:

John Soo <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Reza,

I’m not sure this is possible right now. I recently tried making a
service which would need the x display variable and I got stuck right
about when I needed the logged in user. I would love to see it though.

Does anyone else know?

I don't think there's an easy solution that's integrated into the Guix
System (formerly known as GuixSD). Instead, the best approach is to use
any of "the usual" methods for starting up user processes. For example,
you might use the ~/.config/autostart convention:

https://freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/autostart-spec/

--
Chris