Re: Installing webbrowser and email client via Guix package manager

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Installing webbrowser and email client via Guix package manager
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2019 12:04:04 +0100

Hi Meikel,

To complement the words by Pierre, I would tell that Web Browser and
Emails Client are maybe not the best entry point to discover the Guix
system. :-)

Well, to search on all the packages, the way is:
   guix package -s web -s browser \
     | recsel -e 'description ~ "[Bb]rowser"' -p name,synopsis,relevance

The part `-s web -s browser' means: search the word web *or* the word
browser in all the fields (name, synopsis, description, etc.).
The recsel command allows to filter out.
 - `-e 'description ~ "[Bb]rowser"' means: select the package owning
the word Browser or browser in the field description;
 - `-p name,synopsis,relevance' means: only outputs the fields name,
synopsis and relevance.

Then, for example try `guix package --show=icecat' to see all the
package information.

To install the recsel comand, you need to install the package
recutils. Then give a look at the manual:
https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/Invoking-guix-package.html#Invoking-guix-package

If you are an Emacs user, then I recommand you to give a look at the
package emacs-guix.

Enjoy!
simon