Re: Real-world example for channels?

From: Chris Marusich
Subject: Re: Real-world example for channels?
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2019 16:46:13 -0800

Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> writes:

> No files are expected to be included.  You only include files that you
> want to offer.  There is no prescribed file layout, nor is there any
> naming convention.
>
> You #:use-module these modules like any other module.
>
> If the repository contains a file “foo.scm” which starts with
> “(define-module (foo) …)”, then you can “#:use-module (foo)” after the
> repository has been added as a channel.
>
> I suggest putting modules in separate namespaces.  All modules provided
> by “guix-bimsb”, for example, are in the “bimsb” namespace.

I agree with Hartmut.  I also found this confusing.  I've attached a
patch to try clarifying it.  What do you think?

If the Guix manual had told me that the repository's root directory will
basically be added to the Guile load path, I would have understood the
expected file structure immediately.  The Guile manual clearly describes
the requirements for making modules available via the load path.

Maybe the existing text was clear enough for some.  I read it but still
wasn't sure exactly how Guix expected me to lay out my channel's files.

--
Chris