Re: Real-world example for channels?

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Real-world example for channels?
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2019 00:00:58 +0100

Hi Hartmut,

> I'm looking for some real-world examples for channels.

Here’s an example:

    https://github.com/BIMSBbioinfo/guix-bimsb

> After reading
> <https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/Channels.html>
> I'm confused:
>
>   * AFAIU Section 3.7.1 shows an example for pulling *whole* guix from a
>     different location. So this needs to be a complete guix-clone
>     (optionally including my own package modules).

Correct.

>   * Section 3.7.2 describes how to add "a Git repository containing [my]
>     own package modules".
>       o What files or scm-packages is this git-repo expected to include?
>         What's the file-layout? Is there a suggested naming-convention?
>         How to #use-module these packages?

No files are expected to be included.  You only include files that you
want to offer.  There is no prescribed file layout, nor is there any
naming convention.

You #:use-module these modules like any other module.

If the repository contains a file “foo.scm” which starts with
“(define-module (foo) …)”, then you can “#:use-module (foo)” after the
repository has been added as a channel.

I suggest putting modules in separate namespaces.  All modules provided
by “guix-bimsb”, for example, are in the “bimsb” namespace.

--
Ricardo