Re: I don't understand profiles and directories

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: I don't understand profiles and directories
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2019 22:00:20 +0100

HiPhish <address@hidden> writes:

> On Saturday, 19 January 2019 18:05:03 CET you wrote:
>> I don’t think so.  It should print a file name.
> The message must have cut off, there was a full file path into `/gnu/
> store/...`.

That’s not correct.  This indicates that the GUIX_PROFILE variable is
not exported.

> Just to re-iterate, the Guix binary I'm going to
> invoke from the command line (`guix`) comes from this profile `~/.config/guix/
> current/`, while all my packages are in the `~/.guix-profile` profile,
> correct?

Yes.

> This means that the Guix binary from `~/.config/guix/current/` shadows the
> one
> from `~/.guix-profile`.

There shouldn’t be any “guix” package in ~/.guix-profile.

> My complete `~/.profile` file now contains
>
>     source "$HOME/.guix-profile/etc/profile"

I’d replace this with:

    export GUIX_PROFILE=$HOME/.guix-profile
    source $GUIX_PROFILE/etc/profile

This ensures that the variables won’t point to specific store items but
rather to the *current* generation (even when you upgrade).

> and `which guix` prints
>
>     /home/username/.config/guix/current/bin/guix

Good!

--
Ricardo