Guix on Android, getaddrinfo, failure in name resolution

From: 白い熊
Subject: Guix on Android, getaddrinfo, failure in name resolution
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2019 14:39:30 +0000

Hi Guix:

I have Guix armhf set up on my Android phone — I've been experimenting with it
for some time. It works/used to work quite well, though there's some hoops to
jump through, setting up some skeleton GNU files that the Bionic based Android
C library doesn't use. Most of the setup along the lines of:
https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/blog/2018/guix-on-android/

Now, I had it all setup on my Android Nougat phone — now I've upgraded to an
Android Oreo based phone, and usually the new version of the OS entails some
complications, which indeed it brought. Now it seems Guix (just Guix though for
some reason, even the command line utilities in the terminal are fine) can't
resolve domain names — I'm not advanced enough to debug this though I think
it's gonna be something simple, like copying some /etc file which is also
missing, but so far no luck. I'm hoping someone might help me debug and solve
this.

I have Guix 0.16.0 set up.

The symptoms: when I run “guix pull”, I get:

substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.isubstitute: updating
substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.info'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.isubstitute: updating
substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.info'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.isubstitute: updating
substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.info'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.isubstitute: updating
substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.info'... 100.0%
building /gnu/store/ni3kiwxslmzk1v5i3hamv3gdrckv843r-isrgrootx1.pem.drv...

Starting download of /gnu/store/1drx7dy1zakc0xs60nb0im1jbvxp11dj-isrgrootx1.pem
From https://letsencrypt.org/certs/isrgrootx1.pem...
In procedure getaddrinfo: Temporary failure in name resolution

Starting download of /gnu/store/1drx7dy1zakc0xs60nb0im1jbvxp11dj-isrgrootx1.pem
From
https://mirror.hydra.gnu.org/file/isrgrootx1.pem/sha256/0zhd1ps7sz4w1x52xk3v7ng6d0rcyi7y7rcrplwkmilnq5hzjv1y...
In procedure getaddrinfo: Temporary failure in name resolution

and so on and on and it fails on many of this.

Now, the only references to this getaddrinfo with respect to Guix that I've
seen are:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2015-03/msg00460.html
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2017-06/msg00348.html

… and they don't give me any pointers.

But I ping and nslookup for instance letsencrypt.org from the same terminal
instance so name translation is working. So what is the issue.

I've read around, had two missed wagers — thought it might be
/etc/nsswitch.conf missing, so copied it — didn't have an effect.

Then experimented with nscd, which exists in /gnu/store, created it's socket
directory, ran the daemon, then tried “guix pull” — no difference, so it's not
trying to go through it.

I realize this is not a Guix problem, it's due to something on the Android side
— but I had it running no prob on the older phone, so know it can be done — I
just can accomplish it.

I'd appreciate help from any more senior users or hackers with ideas on what
could be causing this fail and how to get it working.

One thing I'm thinking — it might be permissions issues on something, as after
upgrade, installing the terminal app on Android, the regular user has a
different ID, so I was thinking permissions somewhere… But even as root I have
the same issue, so shouldn't be that…

If anyone could advise me — I'd much appreciate it :@)

Many thanks.
--