Re: "M-x slime-connect" cannot connect to sbcl-next swank server

From: Andy Patterson
Subject: Re: "M-x slime-connect" cannot connect to sbcl-next swank server
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2019 14:24:41 -0500

Hey Pierre and Amar,

On Fri, 11 Jan 2019 13:28:05 +0100
Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> wrote:

> Thanks for reporting.
>
> I can reproduce.  I think this is due to how we package
> SBCL-SLIME-SWANK.
> Somehow, the version is missing, and maybe more other important
> parameters.

If I'm remembering right the version of swank that we package is quite
old due to the use of a branch which provided an asd file which was
suitable for the asdf build system.  So I can definitely see how there
could be mismatches.

> With Quicklisp's SWANK and a local build of Next, it works fine here
> on Guix' emacs-slime.
>
> Andy, any idea?

When I debugged our next package briefly before, I created an ad-hoc
environment with the library version of next, sbcl (for the environment
variables), and sbcl-slynk:image. I then ran slynk.image, started up a
slynk server on it, and loaded in next.  I think I had to rename the
slynk pacakges (I did this at the sly mrepl) to stop providing swank
aliases so that they wouldn't conflict with the swank which comes with
next.  After that I started next's main and was able to debug from
there.  I think that was the path of least resistance to opening a
debug session.

Hoping that helps. Let me know if you need any more information.

--
Andy