Re: Some general guix questions

From: Tonton
Subject: Re: Some general guix questions
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2019 21:00:28 +0100

On Tue, 08 Jan 2019 18:43:06 +0200
Divan Santana <address@hidden> wrote:

> 3. If I run guix system vm --fallback system.scm I get a vm I can run,
>    which is really awesome. If I then do a guix pull and guix system
>    vm --fallback system.scm I get /another/ VM which I can run. How is
>    the previous VMs garbage collected, I wonder?

A note on garbage collection in guix: most everything lives in the store.
vm's, packages, your operating system, previous generations of operating
systems.

All entries can have what's called GC roots. As far as I understand a root is
a symbolic link somewhere else on the filesystem. So if you create a vm it
will remain in your store until guix gc is run WHILE the vm has no roots.

So to clear space you would have to delete the roots for previous generations
of your system or packages. guix package has a command for this, guix system
does not have this yet (I think). A roundabout way to delete system
generations is to delete the symlink/root in '/var/guix/profiles/' and then
run guix gc. Be careful what you delete.
--
    :)