Re: very few substitutes available?

From: swedebugia
Subject: Re: very few substitutes available?
Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2019 11:39:03 -0800

On 2019-01-05 18:24, Thomas Danckaert wrote:
> Hi guix,
>
> I've been attempting to update my profile for a while now (actually
> the latest generation is already from july... :-) ).  I find that I
> always have to build a huge number of packages, such as the entire
> rust bootstrap & icecat...  I've been stuck in a loop where I run
> “guix pull”, wait a few days, see that I still have to build icecat,
> and try “guix pull” again, ...
>
> How long does it typically take before substitutes are available after
> pulling from master?  Or is there a way to see (from ci.guix.info?)
> which revision I should pull in order to have a maximum of substitutes
> available?

Are you on 32 or 64 bit?
Paste "uname -a"

I had the same experience on 32-bit a month ago. 64-bit is way way
better supported by the build-farms currently for bug/technical reasons.

If you are on 32-bit you have some choices:
- change to a 64-bit machine
- wait for the builds to be done or someone to fix it
- help us find and restart the failed builds (ask Mark on guix-devel)
- build them yourself and share using ipfs and the wip-branch published
a few days ago. and invite other 32-bit users to do the same.
- sack the packages causing the rebuilds and find alternatives. E.g.
rust is drawn in by icecat. Switch to epiphany, etc.

Gnome perhaps draws in an awful lot of builds. Try xfce or stumpwm which
is way way lighter.

Given that you are the first one to notice/write about this in the
latest few months beside me I guess there are very few 32-bit users in
guixland right now so the best option might be to upgrade to 64-bit and
follow the herd.

--
Cheers
Swedebugia